Thursday, April 13, 2006

Sovereign Hill *Gold Country* Ballarat


In February this year my boyfriend and I went to Geelong, Victoria. Michael had to attend a management course for one week. When we finished up in Geelong, we decided to stop in at Ballarat, and go to Sovereign Hill

We had a great day there, there is so much to do, see and learn. A really neat thing is that all the staff are dressed in 1800's clothing, they do shows around the 'town' all day. You can also take several guilded tours.
We stopped for lunch at the "New York Bakery" (above). I had the lamb pie with chips, I have to say it was one of the most yummiest pies I have ever had. It came in a little dish with the puffiest pastry I have ever seen, set on top. Michael had tea sandwiches, I never got a taste so I presume they were super awesome too.

Some of the things to see and do are, watch the wood and metal smiths make wonderful items in front of your very eyes. Watch candles and soap being made. Take a tour of the old mine under Sovereign Hill. Have a 'wanted' poster made about you. Watch hard candies being made. Pan for your own gold. If you have no luck you can always buy some at the shop.

Michael and I found some gold, not much, it is sitting in a little glass bottle to remind me of the great time we had.

No comments: